Pi Entertainment System (PES)¶
For ease of use on the Raspberry Pi, PES has been packaged into a SD card image using ArchLinux as the OS together with various emulators, Kodi and utilities including PlayStation 3 control pad support via Bluetooth to allow you to create your own games console. Support for Retro Achievements is included and you can use your TV remote to browse the user interface. Additional screen shots can be found in the Gallery.
Having used other emulation systems for the Raspberry Pi I decided to create my own set-up and user interface as a challenge, and to hopefully create an easy to use system. I hope you like it!
- Atari 2600
- Final Burn Alpha (FBA)
- Neo Geo
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Nintendo GameBoy
- Nintendo GameBoy Advance
- Nintendo GameBoy Color
- Sega CD
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Master System
- Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis)
- Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis) 32X
- Sony PlayStation
- Sony PSP (Raspberry Pi 2/3/4 only)
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
- Turbo Grafx 16 (aka PC Engine) / Turbo Grafx 16 CD (aka PC Engine CD)
- ZX Spectrum
- Cover art and meta data scraping
- Gaming achievement tracking thanks to RetroArchievements.org
- Easy to use interface
- Support for favourites and other search filters
- File sharing
- HDMI-CEC support
- Kodi included
- Raspberry Pi (Arm6) torrent (2GB)
- Raspberry Pi 2/3 (Arm7) torrent (1.9GB)
- Raspberry Pi 4 (Arm7l) torrent (1.9GB)
- Raspberry Pi (Arm6) (md5sum: 255fbf399fb5c1e3beb6906f367c0d44, 2GB)
- Raspberry Pi 2/3 (Arm7) (md5sum: f78e840c0713cc7ae938cc255dabdf95, 1.9GB)
- Raspberry Pi 4 (Arm7l) (Direct) (md5sum: 0a6fca3ebb0ef9e16092357ec39501cd, 1.9GB)
PES images for use with BerryBoot are also available for Raspberry Pi 1, 2 and 3.
Once you’ve download your chosen image take a look at the Installation instructions.
16/04/2021: PES 2.9 is now available to download. Note: this will be the last version of PES for the Raspberry Pi model B/B+. Going forward PES will only be supported on Raspberry Pi 2/3/4.
07/03/2020: PES 2.9 is under development. It will include newer versions of the emulators and a fix for Retro Achievements. Updates are being added to the 2.9 branch on GitHub.
28/12/2020: In some PES 2.8 images the
dhcpcd service has not been enabled - this is an error. It needs to be enabled in most circumstances for the Raspberry Pi to be allocated an IP address on most networks. Please see Issue #3: DHCP client not enabled in PES 2.8 for a workaround.
04/05/2020: PES 2.8 for the Raspberry Pi 4 is now available for download (see links above). This version for the Raspberry Pi 4 now includes support for the PSP emulation.